Friday, July 23, 2010

INCEPTION: 6 STARS! Ten Thumbs Way Up. 'Nough said.

Inception is an adrenaline high. It is a complex story of dreams and ideas. It is one amazing action scene after another. And it has the greatest ensemble of a cast this year. And it is the greatest film I have ever seen.

No spoilers here. It is best to go in the movie not knowing what to expect except that you need to pay attention. Losing focus in this film could cause large amounts of confusion. But Inception does have the most complex, moving, and emotional scripts that has ever been put to screen.

The acting is superb as well. Leonardo DiCaprio is surprisingly amazing as Dom Cobb, the lead character in the film. He put away all of his terrible performances in the past and he brings forth the most powerful performance in his entire career; better than Body of Lies, better than Blood Diamond, and better than Catch Me If You Can. Now comes the supporting cast: Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock From The Sun) shows himself to those who do not know him that he is one of the greatest young actors at work today. Tom Hardy, a young British actor who hasn’t had much success in America soon to be a hot commodity after this. Ellen Page (Juno) holds her own with every actor in the film. And Marion Cotillard (A Good Year, Public Enemies) is perfect in showing every bit of emotion that is needed. Other cast members include Ken Watanabe (Batman Begins, The Last Samurai) who may be the weakest link (only because he was a little incomprehensible), Cillian Murphy (Red Eye, 28 Days Later, Batman Begins) who acts tremendously well with bigger name actors, and Michael Caine who I wish we could have seen a little more of.

On the technical aspect, the music, the special effect, the graphic effects, and the production design were all perfect. The music drove me nuts (not in a bad way). It added so much tension to the film, making me get closer to the edge of my seat than any other film. After every intense scene, the music added more pressure to my lungs, making me hold my breath longer and longer. The practical effects and the computer effects melded so well that it is hard for us as an audience to tell which were which. The sets were also amazing. Every one of them grabbed my mind and threw me across the room with awe and amazement. The scope of all of the sets and the beauty of them continued to grab me and strangle me.

So see it. No matter how much money you have to spend, it is worth it. Find $5.25 under the couch or in the desk, but see this movie.

P.S.- (I see the top spinning in my head. You’ll know when you see it.)

Next time: Musicals to avoid and a month of Ken Branagh.

No comments:

Post a Comment